Ahh Valentine’s Day! The one time of the year where chocolate and roses are triple in price! I never really cared so much about this holiday until I became a mom. I know, I know, everything changes when you become a parent, but for some reason your attitude towards holidays completely change once you have kids. It’s as though you want to live every holiday through their eyes, which are full of excitement, anticipation and so much LOVE!
I always told my husband to never buy me flowers, I could never justify paying so much for flowers I can get all year for a much cheaper price. Now chocolate on the other hand, I never turn down. It’s my weakness, my kryptonite and I will always find room to eat it!
Ever wonder why we give/receive/eat chocolate on Valentine’s Day? Chocolate dates way back in the Aztec era, where it’s beans were considered a magical food of the gods. Some consider it an aphrodisiac, others an addictive drug. As for myself, I call it the feel good dilemma. It makes me feel good for about 30 seconds after I devour each one and then pay for it once I eat the whole box.
I’m no scientist, but whatever chemical compound that happens in our brains when we eat chocolate is definitely worth it! Now chocolate covered strawberries, those are an aphrodisiac, aren’t they?
Ever buy $10 Godiva chocolate covered strawberries? They are delicious, almost enough to forget how much you spent on them. This year, I decided to make my own chocolate strawberry rendition in cupcake form.
I used my homemade strawberry jam that I canned in August and marscapone cheese (italian cream cheese) as the filling and the combination with chocolate is just delicious!
Strawberry Marscapone Chocolate Cupcakes
(This makes about 12 large cupcakes or 24-30 mini cupcakes)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup milk ( you could substitute easily with almond, coconut or cashew milk)
- ½ cup canola or sunflower oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, sift flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt and on a low setting, combine in mixer.
- On medium speed, add the milk, eggs` (one at a time), vanilla and oil.
- In a cup stir in espresso powder with the boiling water and add to the mixture.
- Line a muffin tray with paper cups and fill each one with batter.
- If you are using a mini cupcake pan, bake for about 10 minutes. If you are using a regular muffin tray then bake for 20-25 minutes. The best way to know if they are down is when the cupcake bounces back up when you gently press OR stick a toothpick in the centre and if it is dry they are ready.
- Let cupcakes cool before filling.
Strawberry Marscapone Filling
- 200 g of marscapone
- 1/2 cup of strawberry jam
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- In a mixer, combine the ingredients until fully combined.
- Keep the mixture refrigerated until you are ready to use.
- To create a hole in the cupcake, you can gently poke it with the end of skinny wooden spoon. Make sure you don’t go right through!
- Place mixture in a piping bag and fill each cupcake until it reaches the top.
- Pipe some frosting on the top and you’re good to go!