Spicy Cashew Tofu
A simple sauce to make your tofu pop with flavour.
- 1 pkg extra-firm organic tofu
- 1 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 1 orange, juiced you can sub it with store bought, 1/2 cup
- 1-2 thai chili peppers Add 1 for less heat or omit altogether
- 1 -2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup soy or tamari sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- Wrap tofu in a dish towel and place a heavy item on top, like a cast iron pan to press any extra moisture, about 30 minutes-1 hour.
- Preheat oven at 400 degrees.
- Break up the tofu into small bite sized pieces and combine it in a bowl with the cornstarch/arrowroot powder.
- Place them on a baking sheet and bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes. You want them to be lightly golden and crispy on the outside.
- In a bowl, add the orange juice, soy sauce, thai chilis, cashew butter, rice vinegar and combine until a smooth consistency is acheived. Add a dash of water if you want it to be thinner.
- Place the sauce in a pan and let it simmer for about 2-3 minutes, letting it thicken.
- Add the crispy tofu to the sauce and serve it over a bed of jasmine rice, noodles or even in tortillas.