Immunity Wellness shots have become increasingly popular over the past few years. They are packed with powerhouse ingredients and flavour to help elevate your immune system. They are a great addition during the cold winter months when our immunity levels are more vulnerable to catching colds and flus. Creating your very own at home does not require any fancy juicing equipment or costly ingredients; just a blender and a few ingredients in the produce aisle.
The ingredients are full of anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, high levels of vitamin c and anti-oxidants that will help support a better functioning immune system. It does not guarantee that it will cure or completely prevent one from getting a cold or flu, but it can provide a much-welcomed boost. Think of it as a burst of sunshine on a cold, dreary day. If you are not feeling well it is always important to consult your doctor for proper consultation. Once again, this recipe is meant to help support immunity, not treat or cure it.
Citrus Fruits: Orange and Lemons are both high in Vitamin C, which is a vital component in fighting off viruses.
Ginger: Ginger is great for nausea and is high in both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
Turmeric: Great anti-inflammatory properties that can help rid of unwanted bacteria in our bodies. The hardworking ingredient in turmeric is curcumin, which can only be absorbed properly if ingested with black pepper.
Garlic: Not the most attractive ingredient, but it has amazing anti-bacterial properties, truly nature’s antibiotic. Alliin is the compound that contains medicinal properties in garlic. It is important to crush, chop or slice the garlic and let it sit for 10 minutes before consuming in order to activate the medicinal properties.
Honey: Also contains anti-oxidants, but great to help soothe the throat. It is a great way to add some sweetness to balance the flavour of the other ingredients.
The recipe calls for plain coconut water, which boosts hydration and help blend all the other ingredients. One can omit the coconut water entirely or swap for water instead, if the mixture is too thick.
Immunity Wellness Booster
- Fine Mesh Strainer
- 1 orange, skin peeled
- Juice of 1 lemon (this way the seeds aren’t added)
- 2 medium sized cloves of garlic (3 if they are small)
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 1 inch fresh turmeric
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 apple, peeled, for added sweetness (a great swap for honey)
- ¼ cup plain coconut water (you may omit entirely or swap for water)
- Black pepper (add just before consuming beverage)
1. Crush or slice garlic before preparing other ingredients in order to activate its medicinal properties (let it sit for 10 minutes).
2.Place ingredients in the blender, and blend on high for about 1 minute, ensuring that all ingredients have blended thoroughly.
3. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh to remove any unwanted pulp or drink as is (up to you).
4. Just before drinking, add a dash of black pepper, mix and enjoy! Enjoy one serving per day (approx. 50ml) and refrigerate for up to 3 days.