Crackers have always been that quick snack to keep the kids quiet and hold them off until the next meal. I wasn’t always a huge cracker fan, unless there was a wheel of melted brie next to it, then I would indulge.
Now with Emilia, I’m always looking for homemade healthier alternatives to keep her satisfied in between meals. Let me tell you, these crackers are a lifesaver when you are holiday shopping. They keep your baby happy and let’s face it, it’s tempting to grab that yummy croissant or pastry when you start to get peckish.
As you know it’s important for me to ensure what goes in my baby’s mouth will help her grow in a healthy manner, but also for the rest of my family. That is why I like to use whole grain flour, it’s important to get our carbs in, but make sure you’re getting the right ones and cheese is always a win win for Emilia and I. She is definitely my daughter when all she wants to eat is bread and cheese all day! I also decided to add some of my hemp seeds and ground flax seeds to add that extra iron, protein, fibre and many other nutrients to help my baby grow.
This cracker recipe is so simple to make, which makes it that much more enjoyable. My mother bought me the cutest mini Christmas cookie cutters from Home Sense (I think they are Wilton?) and they are the perfect bite size for your little one or for us really. Who are we kidding, whatever we make our kids we eat too!, am I right?!
They are also great to serve as an appetizer at your next holiday dinner party. Add it with a yummy dip and your guests will love how cute and delicious they are!
Festive Cheddar Crackers
- 1 cup of whole grain flour (you can substitute for spelt if you like)
- 3 tablespoons of butter, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons of hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon of flax seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 cup of shredded mild cheddar
- 2 tablespoons of grated parmigiano cheese
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil (to brush on top)
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and combine until the dough presses together.
- Place dough onto a saran wrap, work into a disc like shape and cover it up.
- Put the wrapped dough in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes, or even the night before.
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, grab a baking pan and place a sheet of parchment paper so they won’t stick.
- On a floured surface, take a rolling pin and roll out the dough until it is 1/4 of an inch thick (they will slightly puff up).
- This is where your creativity begins, take any cookie cutter you want and cut out each cracker and lay them on the parchment.
- Using a pastry brush, brush a little olive oil over each cracker (this will give it a little extra flavour and help make it nice and golden)
- Bake in the oven for about 10-12 minutes or until golden brown (I find ovens work differently so you wait until they are nice and golden).