I made these delicious treats for a special new mom who loves oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Being a new mom myself I know that those late night feedings are the worst when it comes to impulse cravings and unhealthy snack choices.
You know what? Sometimes you just need to give into those cravings! There are times to find a ‘healthier substitute’, but when it’s 3 in the morning and you are lucky if you have had 30 minutes of sleep, trust me, the last thing you want to ingest is a ‘healthy choice’. Especially if you are nursing, you need the energy to get you through the feeding. You’re losing some of the baby weight anyway, so it’s like your balancing it all out?
I have to say I also had no desire to bake/cook anything in the first few months of being a new mom, so I honestly felt the urge to make these for my friends who are in the beginning stages, for they could use a little pick me up. Note to self: Always take food from others in times of need. It alleviates such a huge weight off your shoulder.
Basically this recipe is a simple oatmeal chocolate chip, the difference is I added ground flaxseed. Studies show flaxseed can help with boosting your milk production. I am not sure if it is completely true, but hey, any excuse to eat chocolate is a good one for me! (I am currently eating semi-sweet baking chips as I write this because my obsession for chocolate is extreme!)
Here is the recipe!
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies (with flaxseed)
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cups of whole wheat all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups of rolled oats
- 1 cup of chocolate chips ( a little extra to eat while you bake, hehe)
- 1/4 cup of ground flaxseed
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, beat butter and brown sugar until smooth.
- Add vanilla and egg and stir until light and fluffy.
- Add in flour, baking powder, salt, flaxseed and rolled oats until combined.
- Add chocolate chips.
- Line baking tray with parchment paper and drop rounded spoonfuls onto the tray about an inch a part.
- Bake for about 12 minutes or until golden brown. Remember all ovens are different so it is important to keep an eye on them.
(The quality of these photos are not my best work, but it was all I could get before they were devoured!)