Let me just get this out there, I LOVE lemons! I love the colour, the flavour, how it enhances other dishes. I have lemon scented candles, body lotions, soaps, perfumes, etc. I think you get the point.
So naturally I love lemon-flavoured desserts. I decided to take a common Italian dessert, semifreddo/tiramisu and change it by adding lemon curd instead. The results were magical!!
Semifreddo literally means partially frozen and there are so many variations that the sky’s the limit when it comes to this scrumptious dessert.
I like to use pavesini cookies, they are smaller and thinner than the typical ladyfingers used, making more room for cream! Hehe
The recipe also calls for egg whites, when you combine the egg whites with the whipped cream it becomes this fluffy, yummy goodness (I write what I feel and it doesn’t always make proper sense).
I decided to take a recipe given by my aunt in Italy and rather use Nutella (so delicious!) I replaced it with lemon curd. I’ll save the Nutella version for another day.
Scroll down for the recipe.
Semifreddo al Limone
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 1 cup of lemon curd
- a package of Pavesini cookies (thinner version of italian lady fingers)
- 3 egg whites (I used the leftover egg whites from my lemon curd)
- 1-2 cups of lemon simple syrup (recipe on website-look up syrup)
- zest from 1 lemon
- In a mixing bowl add the egg whites, beat until firm peaks form, set aside.
- Beat heavy cream until firm peaks form.
- With a spatula fold over the egg whites into the whipped cream.
- Take a pan or about 6-8 small cups (depends on the size)
- Dunk the Pavesini cookies into a bowl of lemon simple syrup and create one layer at the bottom of your cup/pan.
- Spread a layer of the cream mixture
- Add a layer of lemon curd
- Repeat steps 5-7.
- Once complete, add some lemon zest to finish off the dessert.
- Pop the cups/pan into the freezer overnight. When you are ready to serve, let it thaw for 10-15 minutes prior.